Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 4
I have SO MUCH that I want to say about last night’s GOT
episode!!!! SO MUCH!!! But alas, I also have a ton of work to catch
up after being at a conference for most of last week. On top of that, the Internets is on fire and
everyone has pretty much made the same observations that I would make.
But I did want to make some general points that all tie to
the main criticism I see, which is that there’s no consistency to the “rules” of
the GOT universe anymore.
First, the rule of consequence is no longer certain. What I mean is, in the early seasons, you
knew that EVERY conversation, no matter how seemingly trivial, would have
consequence in some way. Whether it was
Arya casually telling Ned “that’s not me,” Robb succumbing to passion and love
over duty and honor, or Roose Bolton seeking Robb’s permission to have “his
bastard” retake Winterfell, you knew it would all matter even if you weren’t
sure how it would matter.
But now, in these later seasons, f*ck if I know what matters
and what doesn’t?! Maybe it’s important
that we haven’t heard a peep about Howland Reed, who for almost 20 years was
the only living person aside from Ned who knew the truth about Jon’s parentage,
and whose children sacrificed so much (literally Jojen’s life) to assist Bran
in becoming the 3-eyed-raven, yet who somehow inexplicably did not show up to
defend Winterfell even though all the banners had been called (that was a
mouthful!). Or maybe it’s just sloppy
storytelling and it means nothing. Maybe it’s important that Tormund told Jon
that he belongs in the North as they parted last night… or maybe it was just
meaningless chatter. I feel like I could
give infinite examples of this kind of thing…
Second the show is just flat out inconsistent in its “greater
meaning,” if there is one. For seasons
we’ve been hearing that the battle between the living and the dead is all that
matters… only to learn that it was like 20% of what mattered and the Iron
Throne actually matters more. For
seasons we’ve been hearing about the Lord of Light and Magic and the role of
the Prince who was Promised in the Wars to Come... only to have almost all of
those concepts swiftly die along with the Night King. Maybe Cersei’s famous “power is power” line
really does sum this all up!
Third, the details just don’t seem to matter anymore. From the Starbucks cup on the table to the “jet-packing”
across Westeros, the showrunners just seem anxious to get it all over with so
they can move on to their next project.
This makes me so sad because if they show kept the pacing and attention
to detail of the first 6 seasons, the experience would be so much richer and
rewarding. The big moments of the show
just don’t payoff in the same way when the small moments are off.
All of these issues lead me to wonder whether David Benioff
and Dan Weiss were the right people to bring the show to life after the
underlying source material was no longer available. I almost wish they had hit pause to figure it
out with George RR Martin rather than to do it themselves. They just don’t seem to have the rich
understanding of the characters that is required to create their storylines as
opposed to merely interpret them.
I hate to be that nerdy nerd who gets on a high horse about
a mythical universe but let me be that nerdy nerd for a hot minute. A few episodes ago during one of the Behind
the Episode interviews, David Benioff referred to Dickon Tarly as Sam’s older brother. I almost jumped out of the chair because
EVERYONE knows that Dickon is not Sam’s older brother; he’s his younger brother. Does this matter? Why yes, it does! This teeny tiny detail actually matters because
it colors everything we know about Sam. As the oldest son, Sam was actually meant to
be the heir and future Lord of Horn Hill.
However, upon coming of age Sam was told by his father Randall that he
was not worthy to inherit Horn Hill and the family Valyrian sword Heartsbane. Randall ordered Sam to disavow his inheritance
by joining the Night’s Watch, thereby paving the way for Sam’s younger brother
Dickon to be the future of their family.
Thus, the fact of Sam’s joining the Night’s Watch was a huge injustice
and sets the stage for Sam’s entire arc of learning to manage his fear in the
shadow of his abusive father. When Sam
steals Heartsbane in Season 6, he is reclaiming something that should
rightfully be his. Why does that matter? Because before the Battle of Winterfell he gives
Heartsbane to Jorah as a tribute to Jorah’s father Lord Commander Mormont, who
was Sam’s mentor and true father-figure.
Jorah uses Heartsbane to defend Daeny to his death. That gift would mean nothing without that
nerdy nerdy backstory that the creator of the show seemed to have completely
forgotten!
Anyway, that’s my take… I hope the last 2 episodes totally
turn me around and make me eat my words!
Comments
Post a Comment