Outlander Season 4 Finale




So let me start by saying that I generally agree with all the Outlander criticism that Season 4 hath wrought. The first ¾ was painfully slow. The depiction of Native Americans was awkward at best. There were way too many episodes where Jaime and Claire didn’t even appear. The Brianna and Roger romance was mucked up at every turn. Stephen Bonnet was a caricature of a bad guy, twirling his metaphorical mustache at every turn… But despite all that, I really loved this episode because it featured the moment I’ve been waiting for all season – Ian’s stepping up to become a man of worth and stay with the Mohawk to allow Roger to leave.

I was a complete puddle while watching this scene (and Lindsay may have been wiping some tears away too). My book-reading peeps know that this is comes out of nowhere like a swift kick in the groin, and yet when you look back you can see it all makes sense. Jaime has spent books/seasons 3 & 4 tutoring Ian in various languages and academic subjects all in an attempt to make him a “man of worth” in his own mold. But Ian has never been one for book learning and we could sense his destiny was elsewhere. The book does a better job of setting this up but the show still handled it beautifully. I wish the show had followed the book a little more closely but giving Ian his love interest, Emily, and also showing him undergo the ritual of having his head shaved and being tattooed like the Mohawk but I guess they needed to make room for Murtaugh’s love scene.

Which brings me to the other thing I loved – Murtaugh got a love scene! The old silver fox slayed it this episode and ended up in the hot and bothered arms of Auntie Jocasta! I will only use exclamation points to describe this momentous occasion! But seriously, Murtaugh doesn’t even exist anymore in the books so I was curious where his path would lead. I love that the episode ended with Jaime getting an order from the Governor to muster and capture the traitor Murtaugh Fitzgibbons. Shenanigans will ensue in Season 5!

In the meantime I can go back to blogging about other stuff (until GOT starts in April, that is!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape