Outlander Season 4, Episodes 9 & 10
Good lawd, life has been getting in the way of my Outlander
blogging! It’s all good though. We had a really nice Christmas and then spent
about 5 fun days in Walnut Creek for New Years. We had a great time but I was
ready to get back into our normal routine. I am a creature of habit if nothing
else and being without any sort of schedule for 2 weeks, and yet still having
to get some work done, was pretty insane. At a certain point I just gave up and
accepted being behind on it all… including Outlander.
I watched Episode 9 almost a week late, on my computer, in
the dark, alone, which probably made me a little more emotional than usual,
which explains why I cried a buttload of times during the episode. From Brianna’s
& Jaime’s meeting to Brianna’s confession to Claire that she was raped, it
was a heavy one. The funny thing is, a week+ later I can’t really remember much
about the episode other than those two scenes and the O’Henry like
misunderstanding of an ending. The book describes this scene as a fight but in
the show, it’s a one-sided beatdown by Jaime and poor Roger is left on the brink
of death.
Episode 10 is called “To Tell the Truth” but it should be
called “Fallout.” After almost 4 full seasons of Jaime being generally heroic
in all ways, he comes down to Earth in a big way. Not only was he all too happy
to jump to Lizzy’s false conclusion that Roger was Bri’s rapist, he also played
judge, jury and executioner without talking to Claire or Brianna. In addition, he
exercised some really questionable parenting skills by physically overpowering
Brianna to show her that she couldn’t have stopped Bonnet even if she had
fought him. What?! I can’t even… And on top of all that, he expresses some very
18th century views on Brianna’s rape and pregnancy as a problem that
needs to be solved by an arranged marriage with someone who will remove her scarlet
A and legitimize her unborn child.
It’s all of these things together that make this a really
engaging episode. Jaime hasn’t just let Claire and Brianna down; he’s let us down too, and that’s just weird. This
isn’t Sopranos or Breaking Bad and being disappointed in
Jaime just feels wrong. At the same time, it’s kind of refreshing and keeps the
season from feeling one-note.
The other thing I like about this episode is that we see a
lot of Roger. Any non-book-readers out there might be interested to know that
Roger is actually a huge character in the series from this book onward. In many
ways he becomes a mirror for Jaime and the book clearly holds him in high
regard. For some reason the showrunners didn’t capture this yet and Roger has
come off as a big old dolt so far. It’s disappointing because I love book Roger
but have pretty much hated show Roger so far. This was the first episode where
we see some of the grit and boldness that makes Roger such a badass in the
books.
I can’t wait for Episode 11 tomorrow!

Comments
Post a Comment