Balance
When I was in law school, everyone was talking about
work/life balance. This led me to
believe that there actually was such a thing, which set me up to feel like a
big ole' failure when I never felt balanced myself.
What a relief, a whole decade later, to see that people are
finally embracing the truth that there really isn’t such a thing.
When I think of balance I picture a woman with an eery smile
who oozes contentment whether in the boardroom or the kitchen. But I don’t know any woman who fits that
mold. I certainly don’t!
I can honestly say that I’ve never felt guilty for being a
working mom, but I do often wish that I could do more of the things that
stay-at-home-moms get to do. I really like
volunteering at Lily’s school and taking Jason to the park and it bums me out
that I can’t do more of it. It’s hard to
feel balanced when I know that I’m missing out on so much.
On the flip side, it’s hard to feel balanced when I’m always
toggling between phone calls, working out, meetings, lunches, the supermarket,
drafting documents, ferrying Lily to afterschool activities, and reviewing
materials. I get to do way more than
most working moms and I know how lucky I am.
Being able to run errands and get stuff done during the week buys me so
much more family time on the weekend, but this also means that my weeks are pretty full.
At the end of the day, a feeling of balance is still elusive
even for me, who works at home and has way more flexibility than most.
I guess what I feel in place of balance is a sense of
control. I’m not always oozing
contentment but whatever state I’m in, it’s of my own choosing. When I was younger I fell into the trap of
feeling like I wasn’t in control of my own choices. I had
to work because we needed my income. It
was almost easier to feel helpless about it because I didn’t need to own my
choices.
Maybe it’s just getting older but I don’t even care about
seeking some foreign concept of balance.
Now, I’m just trying to exercise gratitude for whatever I’m feeling at
that moment, even if it’s totally overwhelmed.
I’ve also learned to cut myself slack when I mess up. Last week, I overextended myself and ended up missing a promised volunteer opportunity at Lily’s school. Today, I completely missed
Jason’s checkup even though it was written on the agenda sitting right in front
of me all day. A few months ago, I would
have beat myself up about this but at the same time, gone back and forth with
myself about whether I was really at
fault (I work so hard! How can I be
expected to do everything?!).
I’ve turned a corner on this recently. Now, I let myself feel bad for 30 seconds
(yes, just 30 seconds!) and then I apologize to anyone I’ve let down and move
on. I’ve realized that balance is a
total illusion but attitude is everything, as my friend Kevin says.
So even though I’ve worked late every night
this week and I’m staring down the barrel of the same for the rest of May
(thank you very much for the GDPR European Parliament!), I feel pretty darn
content (if not oozingly so).

Comments
Post a Comment