Just realized

I forgot to tell that funny story about how I got a really bad haircut back in May.  So as the prologue to this story, I will remind those that know me and let anyone else know that I am extremely impulsive when it comes to my hair.  In the span of my sophomore year of high school I went from my natural blonde, to orange highlights, to magenta highlights, to magenta all-over, to blue all-over, to a faded blue-green all-over, and then a pixie cut to get rid of the "temporary" green that turned out to not be so temporary.  I stayed a blonde until freshman year of college when I went jet black, then mahogany and then strawberry blonde to grow out to my natural color again.  I didn't touch my hair color for 10 years until this past Fall when I went brunette.  I really liked it but the maintenance has been too taxing so I've added some blonde highlights back in so it matches my natural color.  It's growing out well but I have been pretty bored with my hair lately.

So given all that, it came as no surprise to Matt when I decided to cut my own bangs on Easter morning.  I've cut my bangs before and it's always worked well.  Bolstered by this false sense of self confidence, and about 2 hours of watching YouTube videos about how to cut your own hair, I decided to give myself some face framing layers on Saturday May 9th.  Within 2 snips it was clear that I had made a horrible mistake and had no idea what I was doing.  This also came as no surprise to Matt.

In a panic, I put the scissors down, asked Matt to be on baby duty and walked around the corner to Overland Avenue.  I figured there had to be a salon in walking distance.  Unfortunately for me, there was.  I'm not going to name names but I'll just say this dude was bad.  He added these awful choppy layers that are not rock and roll at all... they're just wrong.  My bangs, which had previously been whispy and summery are now a thick winter fringe with these strange side bangs that look like saddlebags.

Behold- my heavy metal throwback hairdo.


Thank goodness someone invented flatirons because I would be completely restricted to ponytails if they hadn't been.  I have to say, it doesn't look quite as bad now that it's had 5 weeks to grow out.  My plan is to just let it all grow out, including the bangs, so I've got a fresh start with no remnants of this horrible, horrible haircut.  And because the past 6 weeks have been emotionally gut-wrenching for far more serious reasons than a bad haircut, I'm not as upset about looking stupid as I might normally be.  The other plus is that as Matt remarked, Lily and I kind of have the same haircut now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape