As you may have noticed, I haven't been blogging as much lately but it's not for lack of things to report!

After a lot of deliberating Matt and I have decided that the time is right for us to move back to California. It's been a really rough decision to make because we love our friends and family here in Chicago so much. When we came to the Midwest for law school, we both had this idea that we'd be back in CA in no time. We really had no idea what was in store for us!

After a banner freshman year of partying, I really didn't have that many friends for the rest of college. I got it in my head that I had to go to one of the best law schools and I spent the rest of college studying to make it happen. I think I had three beers my entire junior year! And my social situation wasn't helped by the fact that Matt and I were one of those annoyingly young and in love couples who did EVERYTHING together. Every meal, trip to the gym, break between classes and jaunt to the store was a team project. It was a great time in my life but aside from Matt I made it out of college with ONE good friendship in tact (hi Maryte!).

So imagine my surprise when I got to Northwestern and found it full of really awesome people who liked the same things as me (sarcasm and beer) and more importantly, hated and made fun of the same things as me (we're lawyers so that pretty much includes everything but sarcasm and beer). Now that we've been out of school for almost 4 years, I don't see nearly as many former classmates as I'd like but I still think of them and all of the fun we had every time I drive by certain bars or the law school. It's going to be really rough to leave behind the physical reminders of those years.

Matt and I have had our eye on getting back to CA for over a year now but the timing was never right and inertia kept us here. But after a few recent changes in circumstance, the inertia has been disrupted enough to make a change. Moving back home will put us closer to old friends and give Lily the chance to grow up with lots of outdoor activity and sunshine, not to mention the love of her Grandparents, Aunt Kim and Uncle Brian.

We'll be moving in with my parents in LA until some of the things that are up in the air start to fall into place. We're not sure of an exact move date yet but it will definitely be before March 31st. I'll keep you posted.



Lily in the snowman hat my Mom's friend Laura knitted for her during one of the recent East Coast snow storms.
Lily and Matt near the rocket ship built by the toddler class at Lily's daycare center. One of the many things we'll really miss about Chicago is the daycare center. Lily has learned so much there and is really thriving. She loves her teachers and her little friends. She and her friend Elizabeth, who is 2 days older than her, are so sweet playing together throughout the day. They play with the same toys, sit together and talk to each other in their cribs which are right next to each other. The other day when I picked Lily up they were even holding hands for a bit, though I think it was accidental. I'm really sad that Lily won't have that daily interaction with other babies. It's funny how we felt a little guilty for having to put her in daycare and now we feel really guilty about taking her out. My Mom has already found a Mommy and Me group through their church in LA so Lily will hopefully still get some baby social time.

Comments

  1. cutest hat I've EVER seen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that was me, not Grant (although I'm sure he would like it too:))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape