The past week has been sort of a rough one. Lillian has had more bouts of gas-related fussiness than ever before, which has interfered with her formerly great eating and sleeping habits. Prior to about 5 days ago, she was sleeping for 4-5 hour stretches and eating really well. About 5 days ago, she started to fuss at the breast more and wasn't latching on properly. In addition, she started sleeping for shorter stretches and wanted to be fed more often but for shorter periods. She started getting intense gas-attacks (it looks like they were from the shorter feedings that resulted in her getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk) and would be up for hours at a time, fussing and trying to pass gas. It sounds funny but it was really awful to watch her in so much pain and to be unable to do much for her. We've been giving her gas drops but I'm not sure they do anything.
Anyway, we seem to be getting back on track. She's had far fewer gas attacks the past few days because I'm forcing her to eat for longer stretches (unfortunately breast-feeding is so soothing that she has trouble staying awake to actually do it) by waking her up and changing her diaper during feeding sessions. We're also giving her lots of tummy rubs and pumping her legs to help her better digest her food. The bottom line is, she seems to be happier and my Mom and I are definitely better-rested than we were a few days ago. :)
Labor Day was low-key for Matt and I, but it was fun, nonetheless. My Mom went to the Sox game with Mark, Allison & Nicholas (Jackie was sick so she and Janet stayed home). While they were at the game, Matt and I took the baby out to a restaurant (if you consider Potbelly a restaurant) for the first time and then for a walk around the neighborhood.
After the game, Mark & the kids came up for some retro Super Nintendo...
...and some baby time.
I know this picture doesn't really show it, but I have lost 15 pounds already and have 12 to go before I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight. My doctor said I can't exercise until 6 weeks post-partum, but I'm hopeful that once I start to really try to lose weight, the rest will come off. In the mean time, I'm comforted by the fact that I can button most of my pants. I've got a little muffin-top action going on but after seeing the scale go to numbers I'd never imagined possible while I was pregnant, I'll take what I can get.
On Tuesday my friend Ilse and her son Ayan came over for a visit. He was adorable, smart and hilarious, as always. He was surprisingly interested in Lily and had already been talking about meeting her all morning.
He was very proud to present Lily with her first rattle and an awesome pair of pink baby Converse crib shoes (he adorably called them "Lily's Chucks.")
He was also very into "Lily's little feet." He seemed to get a real kick out of comparing his body parts with Lily's much smaller corresponding body parts. We were given side by side comparisons of feet, belly buttons and facial features!
And he gave Lily a kiss goodbye! I've always loved hanging out with 'Yan. He's incredibly bright and vocal and just cracks me up. But this time, our visit was extra special because it got me so psyched for when Lily is that age (he turns two next week). I'm loving every minute of her newborn phase and part of me is sad that she's already changing and growing so much. I think back on the moment she was born and wish I could relive that moment again and hold her when she was "new" because it was so incredible. At the same time, every day she seems so much more engaged and curious and it makes me excited to see what sort of person she'll grow into.
Lily's Chucks are a little big now, but I'm sure she'll fill them out in no time!
My Mom has been reading Lily lots of books and believe it or not, she actually seems to be looking at the pictures. She loves this one because it's got lots of shiny pictures that catch the light.
Lily seems to love her Radiohead lullaby CD that Cousin Jessie gave her, but in this picture it looks like she's poo-pooing my OK Computer shirt.
Proud Papa Matt...
... and proud Great Uncle Jimmy.
My Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Cathy got into town on Thursday and Cousin Jessie got in on Friday. We had a nice lunch with plenty of passing the baby around yesterday and took Lily out for her first picnic along the Lake this afternoon. The weather was absolutely perfect (75* and breezy) and it was so nice to be outdoors and to gaze at all of the sailboats on the water.
As you can see, Lily has started to smile at us. It could still be gas-related but we'll pretend that she's social-smiling.
Today we dressed Lily in the outfit that I wore when I came home from the hospital. We have this exact same photo on our wall of me in my pram, making the same expression as Lily and the resemblance is uncanny. Well, given that we're mother and daughter, I suppose it's more canny than un.
She seemed to like the outdoors at first but fussed once we actually got to our picnic site. She may just be a newborn but she's already developed a knack for fussing whenever I'm doing something that has nothing to do with her (eating a sandwich, talking on the phone, taking a shower).
Lily, Matt and I are all going to be sad when Grandma Judy leaves on Tuesday. I'm already a little nervous about how we're going to handle everything on our own after depending on my Mom for so much over the past month.
Hahahaha, love the giant chucks on little lily! Reminds me of another big footed female Berger- but my chucks are low tops and white :)
ReplyDelete