We've received so many inquiries about where Lily's name comes from that I wanted to post some photos of her namesakes.


Lillian Came Zimmer (my Dad's mother) at age 19 in 1944. I never met her (she died in 1974, 7 years before I was born) but from what I have heard and seen in photos, she was very beautiful and quite a character.


Marie Rita DiPretoro Cogan (my Mom's mother) at age 69 in 1981, holding me. My Grandma was my only grandparent I ever met. Although in her later years she and Olivia Soprano seemed like the same person at times (minus the murder attempts and chair that moves up and down the stairs) I have so many fond memories of times spent with her. When I was in grade school, I would spent a week with her in Brooklyn during the summer. We would watch The Golden Girls, pick figs from her tree in her backyard, eat ice cream and take walks around the neighborhood. She loved Matt from the time she met him and even once charmed him with a spirited and spontaneous rendition of God Bless America. My Grandma was always quick with a quip and good for watching any baseball game that was on TV. She passed away at age 91 but I am very proud to pass on her name (also my middle name) to my daughter.

This is a photo of my Dad at 6 weeks old. I think Lily looks a lot like him as a baby, especially when she has her eyes closed.

I'm not sure how old I was in this photo but since I was a premie, I think I was a few months old. I see a lot of myself in Lily, which is funny because I think she resembled Matt more when she was brand new.


Matt at a week old. Matt was a 9-pounder so you can imagine that I was more than relieved that Lily was only in the sevens.

The past few days have been nice- very chill. My Dad and brother got in yesterday and we've been hanging around, staring at the baby. Lily (and Mom, Dad and Grandma Judy) had a great night of sleep last night and I was hoping to take a walk with her today but the weather doesn't seem to be complying. In the meantime, Grandpa Tom is playing Lily some Beatles songs on the guitar.

Comments

  1. What a wonderful story about your family and Lily's namesake!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape