Krazy for Kondo
![]() |
| Rosie kept messing with my perfectly Kondo-ed drawers! |
![]() |
| The photobombers strike again! For some reason the little ones were underfoot the entire time that I was taking the photos required to qualify for the Kondo training seminar. |
I gave a shout-out to Marie before (here) and
also blogged about minimalism in passing (here
and here)
but I thought I’d give it another go since her Netflix show has swept the
nation and I just completed my registration for her official consultant
training seminar here in LA in September.
I promise to blog on that later but first…
Guys, I am so excited to see Marie Kondo go truly
mainstream! I have been a Kondite, er, Kondophile (whatever) for about three
years now. I bought her book after I was already pretty deep into de-cluttering
but it helped me bring some structure to the whole process. I particularly like
her approach to clothing, where you pile everything in one place and fall down
into a full-on shame spiral… I kid… sort of.
It was so cool to see her work with people and put her books
into action. Her compassion and kindness is so genuine, which is probably why
the show has really taken off. As I contemplate making a career change in her
direction, I realize that this is an area that I need to work on. I’m so
passionate about organization and de-cluttering that I tend to forget that most
people probably need to start with baby steps and be gently pushed and not
shoved along.
Still, I wish that she had gone a bit farther in the show.
Not necessarily farther in the sense of getting rid of stuff (though I think
some of the families certainly could have) but farther in the sense of why we
accumulate things in the first place and tackling what happens (or should
happen) after the initial decluttering.
I believe that we cannot successfully declutter unless we
explore the unsettling reasons that we try to fill emotional voids by
accumulating clutter. We can buy stuff and declutter again and again but the
cycle will never be broken until we confront that difficult truth… and continue
to confront it again each time we inevitably slip up and engage in retail
therapy instead of meditation (yep, that’s still me when my stress levels are
high and my frivolous spending gets higher). It’s so hard. Almost every message
we are bombarded with is geared toward making us feel like less so we’ll buy
more. The rest are geared toward making us feel that we deserve to buy more, as if that’s not only our right but our destiny.
There were only a few moments during the show’s 8 episodes
that came close to confronting this. For instance, the empty-nester wife of
episode two talks about retail therapy and shopping sprees to hit her husband
where it hurts (in the wallet). But by and large, they (and we) weren’t asked
to identify and change problematic consumption habits.
I fear that by watching the show alone, viewers will think
that our problem is just keeping too many sentimental trinkets and old
magazines, when it’s really buying so many things and attaching such
sentimental meaning to them in the first place.
Sure, it’s a tempting practice and one that
we’re all guilty of to varying degrees (hello Disneyland souvenirs!). But when
you break it down it’s such a strangely modern practice to associate memories
with trinkets. For most of humankind we had almost no physical possessions
other than weapons and survival necessities. Yet somehow, we were able to
remember things without those physical triggers and pass down family histories
through stories and songs. One day human civilization will collapse and we’ll
have to do the same all over again. It will be awful but kind of beautiful when
people remember that they don’t need things to remember.




Comments
Post a Comment