Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 2

GOT Oreos!!! For some real fun watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmf-6TYjGuQ

I can’t believe I didn’t physically combust from all that waiting for Episode 2! Seriously, I don’t know how I did it…

After Easter dinner with my parents, Matt and I rushed to get the little ones bathed and settled in bed so we could watch.

I know some people (ahem, Matt) weren’t happy with this episode and felt it was a waste of time in an already way too short season.  I understand this view but don’t feel that way myself. I, for one, enjoyed every minute of this episode and thought it was a fitting setup for the battle to come in Episode 3.

What I really loved was that we saw the best in pretty much every character who made their way to Winterfell. Call me hokey but my soft heart just loved seeing so many characters see their way to the other side of their redemption arc.

But what I really loved was that we still can’t quite tell who is going to make it out of Winterfell alive. Certain “tells” like spending more time on a particular character or showing them in a happy moment happened to everyone last week so really anyone (or everyone) could be doomed. I guess the trick is in trying to figure out what role each player might have “in the wars to come.” I’m not sure who is going to die but here are my guesses for who will live for sure:

Live List:
·      Jon- because, of course!
·      Daeny- ditto.
·      Sansa- because she’s never been more confident and powerful (and she looked so badass in that outfit last week!).
·      Arya- because she has too many parlor tricks in her bag that will come in handy against the Night King and/or Cersei.
·      Theon- because even though I’m in the minority here, I still think he has more to contribute to the story. I think we’ve spent too much time with him for him to not make it to the very end (whatever that is).
·      Bran- I think Bran may bite the dust in the end but it’s not his time yet.

I would like it if more people made it out alive but I’m not hopeful. There were too many references to the crypts being safe, so of course they’re going to be anything but! I’m also wondering if there will be some reanimated Stark wights emerging from those crypts and if something else (perhaps something that will prove Jon’s parentage) will emerge along with them.

What’s really blowing my mind right now is a theory that Maryte shared with me and that apparently originated on Reddit. The theory is that while Jon & crew are fortifying Winterfell and dangling Bran out as bait for the Night King… the Night King is actually on his way to King’s Landing to convert Cersei’s armies into his army of the dead!

This blew my mind because it made so much sense on so many levels:
1.     It would explain why the Night King wasn’t shown at the end of the last episode (because he’s not there!)
2.     It would explain Bran’s vision in which a dragon shadow flies over King’s Landing. We have seen many of his visions actually occur but not this one yet.
3.     Ditto for Daeny’s vision of the iron throne room covered in ash/snow. I think most of us assumed that this was the result of her sacking the city but maybe it’s actually the Night King who gets there first. She said she doesn’t want to be the queen of ashes but she may not have a choice!
4.     Lastly, isn’t it the only thing that could really surprise us at this point? I keep wondering how they could possibly resolve the story in an unexpected way, but almost every possibility seemed blasé until this one presented itself to me! Since last year we’ve all been assuming there would be two big battles between the North and the Dead and then North vs. South (maybe in the reverse order), but this theory opens up a much cooler possibility of a North vs. Dead followed by North+South vs. Dead battle (maybe in which someone uses dragonglass in Qyburn’s dragon slaying machine to take down zombie Viserion?!).

Anyway, lots to think about before next week!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape