Outlander Season 4, Episode 7
| Lindsay's and my Outlander/whiskey fan club of two. |
Brace yourselves; this was the first episode of Outlander that featured neither Jaime nor
Claire in the entire episode! The. Entire. Episode.
What’s insane is that I didn’t even notice that until after
the show during the crazy stupid “Inside the Episode vignette.” I have really
mixed feelings about this episode but I think it’s saying something (good?)
that I didn’t even notice Claire and Jaime were missing.
This episode is all Brianna with a dash of good old Rog’ and
some sprinklings of Frank here and there. Oh, Frank. Frank! Dear God, I love
Frank! He has gotten the real short end of the stick in the show until tonight.
Up to this point TV Frank has come off as a real dick, while Book Frank always
came off as far more balanced. Did he philander, drink too much and rub it all in
Claire’s face? Sure. But you see a far more nuanced picture in the book; one
where Claire, in a real “sorry not sorry” move decades before that was a thing,
rejected and pushed Frank away because he wasn’t Jaime and Frank played the
role of the rube because that was the only thing he knew how to do in the face of
said rejection. Tonight was the first
episode where we see that more nuanced Frank and it was so wonderful.
In a diversion from the book, we see Frank in the 60’s
using his magical historian powers to hunt down his love rival Jaime, only to find
an obituary (THE OBITUARY) of not only Jaime but Claire… which tells him that
his wife will be leaving him at some point soon to take a death-defying journey to
the past to be with Jaime instead of him.
This is a soul-crushing, stupefying revelation which sends Frank into a
drunken spiral that results in him almost
telling Brianna the truth about Claire and her biological father, Jaime.
But he doesn’t… because he is a good father who puts his child before himself.
It’s
this foundation of always giving Brianna what she needs to grow that propels
her to follow Claire and Jaime into the past. For book geeks, we will learn in
about 4 books from now that Frank had a feeling Brianna would follow them someday
and that’s why he took her camping all the time and taught her lots of pioneer
woman, pre-electricity tricks of the trade and cool hunting and self-defense moves,
so she would be able to survive in the past.
Aside from awakening the Frank-o-phile within, this episode
puzzled me (and Linds) with the Leoghaire storyline. I could be mis-remembering
(I’m re-reading Drums of Autumn but
am not far enough along yet), but I’m fairly certain Leoghaire makes no further
appearances in the books. I don’t mind diversions from the book when they work (Murtaugh!),
but this just didn’t. I liked where I thought it was going (I thought Brianna
and Leoghaire would cross paths but not learn each others’ identities) but
hated where it ended up (with Leoghaire threatening Brianna and pulling the
same evil moves that she pulled on Claire 20 years before).
This brings me to one big weakness of Outlander – the tendency to paint certain characters like Leoghaire
and Stephen Bonnet as so one-note. Could
anyone really be that horrible?!
Although I have to say that little Irish Stephen
Bonnet is growing on me. I hated his character in the book (and not in a “love
to hate” way, like with Captain Randall) and in the first episode of this
season but for some reason he grew on me this episode. Maybe it was the throwing
children overboard? I keed… that was not
cool, man. But the actor who plays him
seems to be coming into his own and is making me like him more than I want to. Until next time...
Comments
Post a Comment