Outlander Season 4, Episode 5



This was another strong episode, which makes sense since we’re now in a mid-season stride.  My only qualm is that even though there’s no indication that time has passed since the prior episode, it starts with Claire and Jaime futzing around their fully tricked-out log cabin.

Now I’m not saying that I’m an expert in colonial American carpentry but I did read all of the Little House on the Prairie books so… I guess what I’m saying is that I am an expert in colonial American carpentry.  And as an expert in colonial American carpentry I can tell you that it would have taken at least 6 months for two people to build their fully tricked-out log cabin.  This doesn’t really matter or affect the plot in any way but it’s a little annoying.

Anywhoo, what I did like about this episode was that it kept the fast pacing of this season and made a really interesting diversion from the book by keeping Murtaugh alive.  Lindsay and I were so confused because we couldn’t remember him being in the books past Culloden… because he wasn’t!  When we saw his aged face in Cross Creek, North Carolina 20 years later I was tempted to comment on how unlikely that would be.  What are the chances that both Murtaugh and Jaime would end up in the same place?!  But then I remembered that this is a show about a time traveling nurse.

Basically I’m down with this development because Murtaugh is the epitome of a ride-or-die.

We also got an abbreviated version of the Herr Mueller plot going, which kicks off a series of unfortunate events that leads to our Ian having to make a pretty big life change.

Lastly, I think we’re going to see Brianna coming to the past pretty soon!  I can’t wait to see tonight’s episode but it’s going to have to be Tuesday because we’re tied up tonight and going to Disneyland for Jason’s birthday tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape