Cousins!

Our cousins arrived from Chicago on Thursday the 4th and we had so much fun with them.  In the middle of all the hubbub Matt and I went to see an amazing show by Radiohead.  The setlist was phenomenal & even in my pregnant state I was able to stand and dance for most of the show.  They've been my favorite band since I was 14 & Lil got a kick out of me telling her that I've been a Radiohead fan for over 20 years.  That's longer than I've been a Lily or even Matt fan!  This was my 5th time seeing them live and they just get better and better.  

I'm sure no one gives a hoot but here's how I'd rank the 5 times I've seen them:  #1- OK Computer tour at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC on 08/26/1997, #2- A Moon Shaped Pool tour at the Shrine Auditorium in LA on 08/04/2016, #3- In Rainbows tour/Lollapalooza at Grant Park in Chicago on 08/01/2008, #4- OK Computer tour at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in SF on 04/02/1998, & #5- the Bends tour at the Meadowlands in NJ on 08/19/1996.  

That last one has a special place in my heart because it's where I actually got to meet the band and talked to Thom Yorke for what felt like an eternity but was probably only 15-20 minutes.  They were so incredibly kind and appreciative of their 5 fans (this was before they broke big and were still relegated to opening for Alanis Morisette, who we did NOT stay to see) & Thom talked to us like actual adults about his artistic process, vocal training, touring, writing, etc. even though we were all only 14 & 15.  Anyway, it always rankles me when I read articles that describe them as difficult or temperamental because they were so warm and friendly to us.  But I digress...

Matt and I had our 10th wedding anniversary the next day.  We haven't had the chance to formally celebrate yet because it's been so hectic but yesterday we were both working from home so we ended up going out to lunch together, which I think I enjoyed more than a fancy dinner because it was unexpected and nice to connect during the day instead of at night when we're both pretty drained from the day's work.


Lil & Jacqueline taking a dive underwater on Thursday.

Grandma Judy & Lil at Universal Studios on Friday.

Lil trying out a broomstick at Harry Potter world.

She was so excited to be able to get a wand from Olivander's wand shop, just like Harry does in the first book/movie.

To her delight, the wand can actually do magic spells throughout the park that make various things happen in the store window.

Allison showing Lily something cool on her phone.
Lil, Me, Janet, Allison, Jacqueline, Nicholas & Judy as we waited in line for the Harry Potter broomstick ride.  I literally couldn't go on a single ride other than the tram studio tour because of my pregnant state but I still had fun catching up with my cousins and seeing the sites.
The girls at Universal.

All the kids in front of the train that takes Harry & the gang to Hogwarts.

Chillin' at our beach on Saturday.  From left to right, Jacqueline, Allison, Lily & Nicholas.


My original concept for the artwork in the baby's room.  I photocopied pages from this book but the colors were just not as vibrant as the book.  So I went over each animal with my colored pencils, which really made the colors pop.  I cut out each animal with small precision scissors and then assembled the background.  It took me almost all of last Sunday and then part of this Wednesday to complete, and my back was aching from all the hunching over & coloring, cutting and pasting, but the final product is worth it!

I couldn't get a photo without the glare on my phone.  I'll take some better photos once the nursery is done.  I love the colors and am now on the hunt for a red or blue crib skirt to match the colors in the picture.  The walls are gray, the carpet is beige and I'm sticking to white sheets and bedding but I want one more pop of color from the crib skirt if I can find the right color.  If not, I'll just settle for white.  :)

This week looks to be as busy as the past few have been.  Lil's last day at Creative Kids was Friday because when she turns 7 on Tuesday she'll be too old for CK.  It was so strange to say goodbye forever since each summer that we've lived in Hermosa we've sent her back there for camp.  Next week she'll be doing gymnastics camp from 9-1 every day and she and I head to Seattle on Friday for a visit with Judy & Tom.  Tonight Matt & I are celebrating the one year anniversary of Pettis Zimmer LLP with Shelly & Jim and tomorrow is Lily's birthday party.  As much as I love planning, prepping & throwing parties, I was relieved when she said that this year she'd rather just take a few girlfriends to tea at the American Girl cafe instead.  I don't have the time or energy this year and couldn't see myself pulling coolers of food and tying balloons around trees in this heat when I'm 5 months pregnant.  Instead, we plan on getting all dolled up in our Sunday best for some tea, sandwiches, cookies & birthday cake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape