Bundle Baby

Lily really loved playing inside our laundry basket on Sunday.
Every night when Lily gets out of the tub, one of us wraps her in a towel and exclaims to the other "Look what I found in the bathtub- a bundle baby!" and Lily smiles and coos while we fuss over her and dry her off.  Last night, when Matt said "What's this?" she said something close to "bundle baby."  Now that she's learning more and more words, we have so many more cute stories to tell.  She also says "love" to us when we say "I love you."

So most of you know that I'm a little obsessed with New Yorker magazine.  Blame it on Jess and her literate ways back when we were roommates.  I try to keep this blog apolitical but I'm sticking a toe in the political waters by posting a link to an old New Yorker article about the need for a barrier of some type on the Golden Gate Bridge in SF.  

On Monday, a 14 girl from my high school years home town of Danville, took a BART train to the City, rode her bike to the bridge, and apparently jumped off of it at around 10 AM.  She was a friend of a girl that I used to babysit so it hit a little closer to home than those things usually do.  Having been a 14 year old girl and now having a daughter who will be one, my heart really goes out to that girl.  I think eighth grade was the worst year of my life and I vividly remember how it felt like it would never end.  Every minor infraction, setback or mini-drama at school seemed like the end of the world.  I wish that somehow I had been able to tell the girl who jumped that she'll get through it, grow up, go to college, get a good job, fall in love, have a baby and life will be pretty awesome.  

The reason that I'm posting the article is because it really hammers on how suicides occur in an acute danger period that "only" lasts about 90 days.  If you can get someone through those 90 days, there's an over 90% chance that they won't commit suicide in the future.  The bridge barrier comes into play because if we can make it just a little bit harder for people to commit suicide (in the place that is apparently still the suicide capital of the world), we might be able to them through those desperate 90 days and maybe this young girl would be going to swim practice today instead of being dragged out of the Bay.  I know, I just had to end it like that.  Maybe it's melodramatic but it's true.

On a much much happier note, today is Great Grandma Rita's birthday!  Happy Birthday!  We love you and wish we could celebrate with you in Skokie.  :)

Comments

  1. I definitely agree with your thoughts about that poor girl from Danville and the prevention methods that should be in place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape