Going to the Zoo... Again

Friday's trip to the zoo was a lot of fun!  We got there before it opened so we were among the first zoo-goers that day.  The weather was really temperate and Lily was really into the meerkats, gorillas & zebras.  The other animals, not so much.  This is her staring off into the distance, instead of at the monitor lizard that was eyeing her.
We intended to hit up the wild bird show at 11:30 but Lils fell asleep at 11:15 so I decided to just walk around a bit and then head home for lunch, instead of picnic-ing at the zoo, as planned.  Unfortunately, there was an accident on the 101 that made our drive home more like a slow creep.  By the time we got home, it was almost 12:30 and Lily was screaming from hunger and being trapped in her car seat.  The whole experience left me (a) hating L.A. traffic so much, and (b) wondering why every time (okay, I'm being melodramatic, it's not every time; it's probably only once in a blue moon but it feels like every time) I think I'm prepared and doing the right thing, something unexpected happens that effs it all up.  Anyway, I rectified her foul mood with an afternoon swim. 

I knew what time Matt would get home, so Lily and I staked out the front door, waiting.  When she saw Matt coming up the front steps, she got so excited and started yelling "Dada!"  The excitement did not ebb through dinner, as she bounced in her seat, waved her hands around and laughed uproariously for no discernible reason other than that she was happy to be up past her bedtime, eating pizza with Mom and Dad.  

Matt had a really great first week at work and I had a good week alone with Lily.  It reminded me of when I was on my maternity leave and Matt was at class all day.  I had forgotten what is was like to be alone with Lils.  It was a little lonely at times since I'm so used to having my Mom and Matt with me all day, but I also really enjoyed monopolizing her time.  We had a lot of special moments and it was felt very serene to just do our thing.  On the other hand, I'm looking forward to having my Mom  & Dad back tomorrow night.  It feels weird to be in their house without them here and I can tell Lily is wondering where they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Digs (Kind Of)

January 2021

Gettin' Back in Shape