Matt's flight is delayed so I can post a bit before I leave.Lily in a yellow knit outfit that my Mom bought for my cousin Jennifer when she was a babe. I also wore it as a baby. Lily is so tall that she'll probably only wear the jumper this once but the sweater should fit for a little while longer.
Matt's caption to this photo:
Brian: I'm an idiot.
Lily: Who is this idiot?
More goofing around. Brian missed his niece when we were in SD but they had some play time last night.
I love her little belly!
This is one of the cute outfits that the DiPretoro gals had given Lily at my shower. She looked so sweet in it!
This photo of the camels is for all you Always Sunny fans: "Look at this sword! You could slice a camel's hump with it and drink the milk."
This wallaby had a little joey in her pouch! I wasn't able to get a photo of the joey but it just stuck its tiny head out for a moment before the mama shoved its head back in her pouch.
Pandas are so cute but I can't see one without thinking of Fight Club when Ed Norton says "I wanted to put a bullet through the brain of every panda that wouldn't procreate to save its own species." Minor digression: Fight Club was Matt's and my first date back in October of 1999. It might not sound romantic but it actually was!
I couldn't figure out whether this sign was warning of lion farts, pee or some sort of skunk-like spray. Neither could my Mom but she said that she and my Dad did see a lion spray someone at the Bronx Zoo years ago.
An elephant pedicure! I love this photo because it gives you perspective on just how mammoth elephants are.
The silverback of the gorilla group ruled with an iron fist but JoJo at the LPZ could take him in a heartbeat! That said, this family was much more outgoing and lively than the LPZ family. There were quite a few characters. I could watch them all day!
This guy was the nut of the bunch. He was chasing the other gorillas around, messing with the toddlers and beating his chest at the silverback. That never ends well! To prove his dominance the silverback gave him a back-hand slap to the face and took his food from his hands!
Koalas are soooooo cute! I had a little koala stuffed animal when I was little and I still have a soft spot for them... even after seeing that Animal Planet special about how vicious they are and how they try to rip each others' testicles off when they fight.
My favorite part of the day was right at the end when we saw a 1 week old giraffe nursing with its mom. The really cool thing was that after this photo was taking a small crowd gathered to watch the nursing. The other giraffes (about 6 of them) immediately ran over to the mother and baby and formed a protective circle around them. I love the zoo for so many reasons but this time I really saw it through the lens of being a mother. All of the female animals are so strident in protecting their young and making sure that they thrive. It made me feel like I was part of a primal club of kick-ass mammal moms!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop for a Minute

To Grandmother's House We Go