I knew it was too good to be true! Last night Lily reverted to her old bedtime ways. She played and napped well all day but after we bathed and put her down at 5:30 she woke up crying just an hour later. For the rest of the evening, I basically had to nurse her every 2 hours and she would sleep for about 45 minutes in between each feeding session. But no matter how peaceful her slumber seemed, once 45 minutes had passed, she would wake up with gas, cry until she pooped and then want to nurse again before going back to bed. If I denied her the breast, she would start to suck on my bicep and cry until I relented. I'm not a fan of the Babywise idea that you should deny babies nursing in order to get them on your schedule so I spent most of last night nursing.
Matt was out with friends but by 12:45, I was so tired that I couldn't even stand over her crib to soothe Lily anymore. Matt came home and took over and it was after 2 AM (and about 25 minutes of full-blast screaming) before she finally accepted her paci and conked out. She was up at 7 to eat again and I tried to pack some play time in there but she wanted to be back in her crib pretty quickly.
It's funny- as anyone who has lived with me will tell you, I have never been a morning person. After living with Jess for a few days in law school she said to me "You're really not a morning person are you?" I was so happy that she understood and didn't take it personally (despite telling her numerous times that I'd appreciate quiet first thing in the morning, my college roommate woke up chatting away like a cheerleader on crack and didn't seemed to notice or care that I never said a word back). Still, it always bothered me that I couldn't be more like Jess- I would just be waking up at 10 or 11 and she would have already eaten, gone to the gym and started studying.
Lily has already changed me for the better in many ways but becoming a morning person is probably the one that I least expected. I've found so much pleasure this past week in having a few hours to myself in the morning. It's so quiet and peaceful and I can really think; with my maternity leave quickly slipping away from me, I've had a lot to think about. It also gives me a good time to work out and to clean up around the apartment without dancing around Matt or Lily.
Today promises to be fun- we're having an afternoon visit with the Great Grandparents in Skokie and then an evening visit with the cousins in Winnetka. Nicholas won 2nd place at a karate tournament last week so I'm hoping he'll show us his moves. On the 22nd, the same day as Lily's baptism, he'll be testing to move onto a blue belt. Once he has the blue belt, he'll actually be able to "fight" other children in competitions instead of just displaying his moves. As Matt put it, "Thus begins our attendance of Nicholas' karate tournaments." It will be like kiddie cage fighting! My money will always be on Nicky.
Our jaunt to the suburbs also means that I can take care of a few errands while Matt and Lily are with Rita and Larry. I need to return a few things at Party City and pick up a few things at Michael's. There's no Michael's in the city and lately running errands with the baby has been difficult. She really hates to be in her stroller unless we're moving at a steady and quick pace, which is not conducive to browsing... I've never been this excited to run a few simple errands before!
Before the madness started last night, we tried the Bumbo Seat again. Lily was still puzzled but she held herself up well and seemed to like seeing things from a seated perspective. She kept looking around the room as if she'd never seen it before.
Matt was out with friends but by 12:45, I was so tired that I couldn't even stand over her crib to soothe Lily anymore. Matt came home and took over and it was after 2 AM (and about 25 minutes of full-blast screaming) before she finally accepted her paci and conked out. She was up at 7 to eat again and I tried to pack some play time in there but she wanted to be back in her crib pretty quickly.
It's funny- as anyone who has lived with me will tell you, I have never been a morning person. After living with Jess for a few days in law school she said to me "You're really not a morning person are you?" I was so happy that she understood and didn't take it personally (despite telling her numerous times that I'd appreciate quiet first thing in the morning, my college roommate woke up chatting away like a cheerleader on crack and didn't seemed to notice or care that I never said a word back). Still, it always bothered me that I couldn't be more like Jess- I would just be waking up at 10 or 11 and she would have already eaten, gone to the gym and started studying.
Lily has already changed me for the better in many ways but becoming a morning person is probably the one that I least expected. I've found so much pleasure this past week in having a few hours to myself in the morning. It's so quiet and peaceful and I can really think; with my maternity leave quickly slipping away from me, I've had a lot to think about. It also gives me a good time to work out and to clean up around the apartment without dancing around Matt or Lily.
Today promises to be fun- we're having an afternoon visit with the Great Grandparents in Skokie and then an evening visit with the cousins in Winnetka. Nicholas won 2nd place at a karate tournament last week so I'm hoping he'll show us his moves. On the 22nd, the same day as Lily's baptism, he'll be testing to move onto a blue belt. Once he has the blue belt, he'll actually be able to "fight" other children in competitions instead of just displaying his moves. As Matt put it, "Thus begins our attendance of Nicholas' karate tournaments." It will be like kiddie cage fighting! My money will always be on Nicky.
Our jaunt to the suburbs also means that I can take care of a few errands while Matt and Lily are with Rita and Larry. I need to return a few things at Party City and pick up a few things at Michael's. There's no Michael's in the city and lately running errands with the baby has been difficult. She really hates to be in her stroller unless we're moving at a steady and quick pace, which is not conducive to browsing... I've never been this excited to run a few simple errands before!
Before the madness started last night, we tried the Bumbo Seat again. Lily was still puzzled but she held herself up well and seemed to like seeing things from a seated perspective. She kept looking around the room as if she'd never seen it before.
Oh, the trials of sleeping and nursing all night! Been there! We felt like after about 5 months, it was time to Ferber them! Have you guys read about that method? It worked for both our kids and to this day, they both do really well at bed time (with some exceptions or being sick, etc.). Hope you get some better sleep soon! I feel for you guys!
ReplyDeleteYes I knew there was a no-talking policy until about 11:00 am, and never took it personally! I've always felt like BECOMING morning person sucked but BEING a morning person was nice -- it's like stolen time!
ReplyDelete